- Purpose of position:
Under the direction of the Financial Controller, the Finance Officer will work as part of the Corporate Services team to support the financial reporting process in the WDC. This post will involve processing financial transactions, the compilation of financial reports & submissions, assisting with the budgeting process, maintenance of the financial system to include internal controls and procedures and other ad hoc project duties as and when required. This Post will be at the Executive Officer (EO) level and is subject to sanction from the Department of Rural and Community Development.
- Key responsibilities:
Assist in the financial management of the WDC including but not limited to the Western Investment Fund, exchequer reporting, EU programme reporting, ConnectedHubs reporting, and other funded project programmes.
- Ensure all financial transactions are recorded accurately and completely in a timely manner
- Prepare monthly and quarterly accounts and financial reports in line with reporting requirements and deadlines
- Process Revenue returns (PSWT, VAT etc.)
- Prepare the monthly payroll & pension reports
- Maintain the accounts payable function including processing purchase orders and invoices
- Ensure supplier payments are made in a timely manner in line with prompt payments
- Ensure accounts receivable activities are performed accurately and timely
- Ensure all expenditure is recorded accurately and on a timely basis
- Assist with Treasury activities and prepare bank reconciliations for all accounts
- Assist with the preparation and management of budgets, forecasts and such financial or other submissions as may be required
- Liaise internally and externally to resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues
- Support the preparation of annual accounts in line with applicable standards and regulations
- Support and participate in the on-going review and improvement of the system of internal financial controls within the WDC
- Provide support to other departments in relation to planning and managing budgets and expenditure
- Assist with and engage in C&AG and internal audits
- Respond promptly and comprehensively to all relevant requests for financial information
- Promote and ensure all financial practices and procedures are correctly implemented in line with WDC policies
- Provide administrative assistance to the Corporate Services team and Management
- Carry out all other duties as required and participate as a full member of the Corporate Services team by supporting different work projects, as required, from time to time
The above is not, and does not purport to be, a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post.
Additional Finance roles may be forthcoming within the next 12 months and a panel will be created to support the appointment of sanctioned EO level roles.
Read more on our Recruitment Campaign booklet here.
- Eligibility Criteria and Experience:
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following:
- Third level Finance related degree (minimum QQI Level 7) or equivalent Finance / Accountancy professional qualification
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a similar financial management role including:
- Payroll and pension management
- Documenting a wide variety of various financial transactions
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly accounts
- Participation in financial audits and internal audits
- Completing Revenue returns
- Well developed IT skills with proven experience of Sage Finance, Thesaurus payroll or similar packages and advanced user of Microsoft Excel
- Detail oriented with strong analytical, numeracy and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A self-starter with a proven ability to prioritise workload and deliver on targets both as an individual and as part of a team
The following requirements are desirable:
- Knowledge of Irish and EU public procurement and financial procedures (including tendering processes?)
- Fully Qualified Accountant or part qualified working towards achieving a full qualification
- Fluency in Irish
For effective performance at this level, the candidate will need to demonstrate that they possess the key competencies for effective performance at Executive Officer level:
- People Management
- Analysis & Decision Making
- Delivery of Results
- Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self Development
- Drive & Commitment to Public Service Values
Further details on the Civil Service Competency Framework are available here.
The post is a full-time, permanent role, subject to six-month probationary period.
All staff members are required to sign up to the WDC Code of Business Conduct under the code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies.
The WDC operates a ‘remote first’ working policy. The Head Office is in Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon with WDC staff also attached to offices in Galway, Sligo and Letterkenny Co Donegal. The successful candidate may seek to be located in Roscommon, Galway, Sligo and Donegal in line with the ‘remote first’ working policy of the WDC.
The salary scale for this post will be equivalent to that of the Civil Service Executive Officer Standard Scale:
Personal Pension Contribution (PPC) Pay Rate: The salary for this position, with effect from 1st February 2022 is as follows: €31,698, €33,509, €34,531, €36,526, €38,315, €40,044, €41,768, €43,455, €45,160, €46,817, €48,526, €49,658, €51,2701 €52,8942
Please note: The starting salary for the person appointed to this post will be the first point on the above scale unless the successful application has previous reckonable public sector experience.
- To apply:
Please clearly state the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email, submit a cover letter and CV (of no more than four pages) detailing your experience, qualifications and any other relevant information, to email@example.com .
Closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday 2nd August 2022 at 5pm.
Read more on our Recruitment Campaign booklet HERE
The WDC is an equal opportunities employer
Canvassing will disqualify